Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Flying high now!!


The Tribe used four big flies to pound Justin Verlander and the Tigers tonight, winning 7-4 and cutting their magic number to clinch the Central Division to 5.



Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of those homers. But I did have a great time with my daughter at Yankee Stadium tonight, even if it was filled with Yankee fans. You can't beat live baseball, even if its Yankee baseball.



Never before have I, and my Tribe windbreaker, been so welcomed at the Stadium. The jacket that usually elicits at least a half-dozen unprovoked "Cleveland sucks" comments from stupid, drunk 20-somethings got me at least as many "thanks for beating Detroit for us tonight"s this time around.

Friendly as anything, these New Yorkers.



I don't suppose it dawned on any of them that the Tribe probably didn't have the Yankees well-being foremost in their minds the past two nights when they were beating the Tigers. I don't suppose it dawned on these Yankee fans that - perhaps - the Indians were busy beating the Tigers to help themselves.


So much so does the world revolve around the Bronx Bombers.



Being late in the evening, it took me five or six such greetings before I came up with the right response. One friendly Yankee fan told me just how glad he was Cleveland won tonight. I suggested he probably won't be so glad when they win again two weeks from tonight. He seemed puzzled. I'm not quite sure he caught my drift.



Wearing the jacket usually results in a few genuinely friendly conversations as well. A young guy sitting next to me, I discovered, grew up in the town next to the one where I live now, and his brother is bringing up a little tribe of Indians fans in Cleveland Heights. Small world.


Saw Fernando Cabrera pitch 1/3 of an inning - which took about a half hour. He pitched to five batters, gave up a double, two walks, a single and a wild pitch - while getting ARod to sky one between the mound and home plate. After he left, Rob Bell cleared the bases for him and Cabrera was charged with four runs in 1/3 of an inning. It was hard to watch. You have to feel for the guy. He keeps reaching to find something he knows he once had, but he just can't seem to find it.


Just one other thought. What on earth is Terry Francona doing pitching Eric Gagne when it matters? As our commander in chief once said, "fool me once - uh - shame on me - uh shame on you -uh - ..we won't get fooled again." Except Francona seems to somehow get fooled over and over again. The Sox may be looking at the wild card if they don't watch out.

Back with more after I watch a TIVOed version of the series finale tomorrow.

Until I figure out a way to get paid for blogging, I've got to get up nice and early and head to the office, so for now gotta go.

PHOTO Credit: The Associated Press

1 comment:

moose said...

glad you survived yankeeland
dont you think the red sox feel a little heat - yes the four blasts were blast - no mention on jensen lewis - jake westbrook is pitching himself out of playoff start - byrd may be the man